Head of Middle School - Sarah MacLaughlin
In our Middle school we have pupils ranging from 6 years to 14 years old. We have 4 classes, one of which is a structured TEACCH room. Knockevin firmly believes in meeting the needs of every individual child and therefore each class caters, in a variety of ways, to meet this aim.
Our structured classroom helps benefit pupils with autism and has been specifically designed to meet their needs. It is a very structured and visual room created to bring clarity to our pupils school day. This is a running theme through Knockevin as a whole, with each indivdual room implementing aspects of structured teaching when we feel it is most beneficial to our pupils.
Through each school day our classes provide a variety of teaching methods and styles that we feel our pupils will develop and learn from. Within each room our pupils have the opportunity to have learning experiences that are stimulating, practical and fun!
It is in our middle school that some of our pupils begin to engage in PE activities that are outside of Knockevin:
- Swimming sessions are taken at Down leisure centre.
- Horse riding sessions are held at Tullymurray with the assistance of much valued and appreciated support from Riding for the Disabled.
- Classes have the opportunity to develop their physical health with PE sessions at Ballymote leisure Center.
- Ongoing links with De La Salle school create the opportunity for our pupils to use their gym facilities and a big THANK YOU goes out to all the staff and pupils at De La Salle who have made this possible with their commitment to inclusion.
- The opportunity of completing Duke of Edinburgh at bronze level has been organised and supported by the PSNI.
It is also in middle school when we begin to develop and reinforce those very important independent life skills that will be so beneficial to our pupils as they work their way through upper school and life after Knockevin! But, most importantly, it is in Middle school where our pupils first experience class BBQ's...weather permitting!